Friday, November 30, 2012

The Big Reveal

Yesterday I told you about my first blog hop challenge. Well, today is the day of "the big reveal!" We were each assigned two satellite pictures from the USGS, with a corresponding color palette. Wow, talk about inspiring! I would never have guessed a USGS photo would inspire colors for a piece of jewelry. At first, I thought the Okavanga Delta was going to be my favorite, with the pretty shades of green and fuschia. In fact, I vowed not to buy anything for this challenge, but just use up what I already had, and I had some tourmaline, chalcedony, and peridot that I thought would be perfect:






And I made this bracelet. Which is fine. I like it.



And I started on this pendant that incorporated the shape of the delta seen in the photo:


But I still wanted to try the other palette and see if I was more inspired. As I looked at this palette, I realized it was one I used to use a lot. When I first started beading, I fell in love with olive jade and smooth, dark wooden beads--lots of chocolate brown.



I found myself falling into the same clean, modern style that I tended towards when I was first beading:







But it isn't really the style that I work in these days. Though I think the clean, modern stones-and-metal style is beautiful, I really love to incorporate something that has a history, like found and vintage objects, collage, and Czech glass. I put it aside, and came back the next day.

The next day, as I was digging around, I came across a resin pendant I had made, which incorporated a scrap of a vintage French letter. I hadn't quite decided what to do with it, and I thought "Maybe..." so I started piling green, gray, and brown beads around it. I added a vintage tassel. Some silver chain. After playing for awhile, I came up with a necklace and earrings that fit both my style and the color palette:



This was such a great challenge for me! I had gotten stuck in a color rut, and also had forgotten about so many pretty stones I had in my stash. I had moved away from using stones at all, really, because I love Czech glass so much, but I love the earthy, organic quality they bring to a piece. This was just what I needed to jump-start my creativity! Thanks so much to Erin and Brandi for this challenge!












Please go blog hopping and visit the other artists!

ALSO Check out my project--cocktail bling rings--on Jewelry Making Daily today! http://www.jewelrymakingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2012/11/30/cocktail-bling-rings-make-a-handful-for-sparkle-season-and-holiday-parties.aspx

37 comments:

  1. those are really pretty! love that clasp on your second piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful selection of gems and beads. I like the tassel necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just adore the palettes, the watermelon tourmaline, and how you incorporated the shape of the delta into the tassel. Magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something to be said for each piece. The tassel is outstanding! But I love that last piece the most. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of those are stunning. I love the pinks and greens in the bracelet and your pendant in the last necklace is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the tassel to match the delta is wonderful. Great story of inspiration of updating previous color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, this was my first Blog Hop too! Weren't the Challenge of Color palettes just beautiful? You made such gorgeous pieces with them! You two did a fantastic job on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, it's tough, but I think I like the first pendant with the fibers the absolute best. Something about the way it flows just speaks to me, and I love the lush greens you chose!

    But I'm also in love with the resin pendant from your second palette - gorgeous!

    Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I liked the bracelet, and I liked the 1st incarnation of your necklace but, wow, you really made it pop with those changes. And, isn't that the way it works? We're not happy and come back a day or two later and find something that could (and usually does) work to make it better. Thanks for showing us the steps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both palettes are pretty, and I like everything you made. I'd love to see the fiber pendant made into a necklace someday - it looks very promising. The last necklace is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The resin pendant of your second palette and that tassel really speak to me. They are wonderful!

    Ambra

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love the clasp/tassel in your necklace. You did an amazing job and the colors are right on! Congratulations. (it's fun to rediscover your bead stash!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty work I love the beads you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your second take is definitely more interesting than the first. Good job. YEAH!! on your cocktail ring also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your bracelet is beautiful - I can actually see it on my arm right now! :) But your necklace redo - swoon! What a fantastic job, love the resin pendant with the bit of chain hanging down - super job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmmm....you and I have similar tastes in stones! Remember how we bonded over those rough cut and AB finish stones at Bead & Button? We really should do that again! ;-)
    I am so happy that you chose to join me in this color fillled journey. You are a very gifted designer with a great sense of history and color and just the right balance. Thank you for sharing with all of us! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh - these are beautiful, those stones are gorgeous! Love your designs - just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful work! The necklace was pretty to begin with but the resin pendant totally transformed it. As a Czech glass junkie myself, I can so relate to your comment about using stones!:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing the process with us! I got the Delta too, and I found it quite difficult. I love what you ended with, its very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pieces!! The resin pendant and the tassel are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm in love with that lovely bracelet you created! The colors of the stones and the flow of the piece is wonderful and the necklace has such a softness! Very elegant! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stephanie, I hope you will create something with your pendant... it is so unique and colourful. It's cool how you kept going back and forth between your palettes; they are all so beautiful it's hard to decide, isn't it? love all your pieces! I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful pieces! I love that resin pendant - fantastic! I also love the start of your pendant and I can't wait to see what and how you end up using it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. All of your pieces are gorgeous -- and I'm so impressed with how you went from smooth and sleek to using more of a vintage vibe. REally nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are all incredibly beautiful! Your palette interpretations are wonderful, but I have to say, the last one is just GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  26. All of your pieces are very beautiful! Don't you just love the richness gemstones give to a piece? I know I do.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  27. how fantastic that you could use both palettes, with wonderful results and use your stash. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  28. All your pieces are gorgeous - I had the Okavango Delta too, and our pieces couldn't have been more different from one another. I love to see how we all think and design in so many various styles!
    The gemstones just give a nice elegant touch to a piece - wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic color scheme and perfect interpretations. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Both of your projects are gorgeous. The first piece is almost springlike.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous work! I love the pop of the lime green heart beads in your necklace, I love the tassel pendants, and your bracelet looks good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous palettes, and you've created some lovely pieces to go with them. I love the bracelet -- such pretty stones and so delicately colourful -- and the last necklace with the resin pendant is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very nice pieces. I especially like the bracelet (1st pic) as those colors just call to me. But your other pieces are great too. Really like the vintage/tassel focal for the last piece. Very nice. Wasn't it fun?

    ReplyDelete
  34. All the pieces you made are wonderful, but really like the last on with the resin pendant you made.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Absolutely beautiful pieces! I love the colors of those lucious beads. They take me back when I first started making jewelry with gemstones, wood, and pearls. Now I use a lot of handmade beads but you have made me want to revisit the gemstones.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you everyone for your kind words! Now, go do some color exploring! :-)

    ReplyDelete