Sunday, July 1, 2012

Bead & Button 2012

Wow. That was really really really FUN. 


This year was my first time at the Bead & Button Show in Milwaukee. I went specifically to meet Becky Nunn in person, as I am serving on her Innovation Team this year and it was a great opportunity to meet her and two other members of the team: Erin Prais-Hintz (www.tesoritrovati.comand Rochelle Nation (www.rochellenation.com).  Erin got me hooked onto polymer clay--which will be a whole different blog post--and we had a great time urging each other on shopping for gemstones!



Aside from shopping, shopping, shopping, I took two classes. The first one,  Wrap-Around Shabby Chic, taught by Kieu Pham Gray,  was fun and entertaining, but nearly drove me crazy as it was not only bead weaving, but bead weaving with TWO needles. I hate bead weaving--what was I thinking? Precision is NOT my strong suit. I think I can safely say I will never make one of these bracelets again. Sorry Kieu, it's not your fault--I'm hopeless!





The second class, Mini Wearable Altar, taught by Cheri Lenart and Linda McNulty, was totally awesome. The teachers, sisters of Susan Lenart Kazmer, were wildly creative and funny. And I not only got over my fear of resin, I learned about how to layer items in resin, and had a supervised lesson in mini-collage. I've been collecting bits and pieces of interesting ephemera forever. Finally, I have a way to incorporate them into jewelry beyond the standard bezel setting. We also learned how to cast in resin, and how to use resin with a backless bezel or frame. Some of the bezels we used were far too big for me to comfortably wear, but I was introduced to the idea of tying them up with lots of sari silk and using them as wall art. Hmmm....  


And then, there was the shopping! Great deals from Nunn Design, fantastic vintage findings from Sandy Schor, the most beautiful sari silk, and Czech glass colors I've never seen before...oh, I can't wait for next year!
















No comments:

Post a Comment